MALS - Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Applicants must also have a grade point average of 3.000 or better for the last 60 credit hours of coursework. No more than 6 credit hours of graduate credit from another institution will be considered for transfer into the liberal studies program.
When submitting an application to the Wichita State Graduate School, students must contact the MALS office for an initial interview with the graduate coordinator. In addition, students must complete a brief essay describing their motivation for selecting the liberal studies program, outlining their proposed three areas of study and showing how the program will contribute to their educational and career goals. Deadlines for application are April 1 for the fall semester and October 1 for the following spring semester.
The Liberal Studies Advisory Committee may request that the applicant submit Graduate Record Examination scores (verbal and quantitative).
Three graduate faculty members representing at least two of the three departments in which the student’s work will be concentrated should be secured as program advisors. One of these advisors, who must be a graduate faculty member of Fairmount College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, will serve as the student’s primary advisor and chair the student’s committee.
Before completing the first 12 credit hours of graduate work in the program, the student must:
- Select members of the faculty thesis or terminal project committee and inform the graduate coordinator;
- With the assistance of this committee, prepare a plan of study to be approved by the graduate coordinator and the Graduate School; and
- Complete LASI 800, for 3 credit hours.
Once accepted by the Graduate School, the plan of study becomes the student’s individualized curriculum and any changes to it must be approved by the student’s thesis or terminal project committee.
The structural framework for the degree is a plan of study, developed by the student in consultation with faculty in the program. It must include:
- A minimum of 36 credit hours;
- No more than 12 credit hours from any one department;
- A maximum of 12 credit hours in a college other than liberal arts and sciences;
- At least 22 of the 36 total credit hours in courses numbered 700 or above;
- Completion of the following:
Course List Code Title Credit Hours LASI 800 Research Goals/Strategies 3 Select at least 27 additional credit hours as described above 27 Select one of the following: 6Master's thesisTerminal project Total Credit Hours 36
- Completion of professional and scholarly training. Specific requirements vary depending upon concentrations and focus. Consult program for specific details.