Campus Recreation is the primary destination for everything Shockers need to get their fitness, leisure and recreation groove on! Many indoor programs and activities take place in the Heskett Center. This 166,000 square-foot facility has everything fitness enthusiasts need for healthy, enjoyable, and productive college careers. By presenting a current Shocker ID card students open a door into the very best in fitness and recreation! Features include:
- Five convertible basketball/volleyball/badminton courts;
- Complimentary Shocker Fit, group fitness classes to all registered students. Over 34 classes/week including Cycle Fit, F45, PiYo, Yoga, and Zumba.
- Two hundred (200) meter indoor track;
- Three Shocker fitness studios, + CYCLE Fit studio + NEW F45 Functional Fitness Team Training Studio;
- Racquetball and squash courts;
- Mount Wu, a 25 foot-high climbing wall;
- Five thousand (5,000)+ square feet of fitness specific activity space including cardiovascular, and strength and conditioning equipment;
- Twenty-five (25) meter swimming pool with separate dive well;
- Six outdoor, lighted, hard-court tennis courts;
- Spacious men’s and women’s locker rooms; and
- Extensive sports and competition program consisting of many seasonal intramural opportunities as well as year-long sport club programs and activities.
Individual services available for purchase by members include:
- Personal training session packages;
- Massage session packages; and
- Variety of special event style activities including the Pumpkin Run 5k race, NIRSA Day and health fair.
Campus Recreation is here to provide students with solutions to their fitness, leisure and recreational needs. To learn more about the programs and services provided check out the Campus Recreation website, Like us on Facebook, or speak with a guest services assistant at (316) 978-3082.
Child Development Center
The WSU Child Development Center is located at 3026 East 21st Street North, at the NW corner of Hillside and 21st Street. It is a licensed child care center for children of WSU students, faculty, staff and alumni. A diverse staff of qualified lead teachers and WSU student assistants facilitates developmentally appropriate activities — art, language, science, math, music and literature — in a hands-on learning environment. The child care center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for children 6 weeks to 6 years old.
Enrollment is limited so it is recommended to get on the waiting list as soon as possible. There is a $70, nonrefundable fee to be added to the waitlist.
Students taking 6 hours or more receive a $50 discount. Students who receive financial aid and have an EFC of 0 receive a $100 discount.
For more information, call (316) 978-3109, or visit the Child Development Center website.
Counseling and Testing Center
The Counseling and Testing Center provides services for personal and mental health issues. Psychological testing for learning disabilities is offered. Workshops and seminars on a variety of mental health and wellness topics are available. Academic testing services are also part of the center’s function. The center’s testing offerings include the credit by exam program, certification tests for community professionals, CLEP tests, and entrance exams for colleges and graduate schools.
Contact the Counseling and Testing Center in 320 Grace Wilkie Hall, at (316) 978-3440, or online.
Student Health Services (SHS)
Student Health Services provides convenient and affordable on-campus health care for all currently enrolled WSU students. The medical staff provides a wide range of services from routine and preventive care to managing acute illness and minor injuries. SHS is located at 209 Ahlberg Hall and open Monday – Thursday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Student Health offers the convenience of onsite lab and medication services to save students time and money.
Health insurance is not needed to be seen at Student Health Services. Students can pay their bill with cash, check or credit card. SHS will file insurance claims for students with the KBOR student insurance plan.
Scheduling an appointment is recommended and there are same day appointments available each day. Appointments can be scheduled anytime through the student portal, or by calling 316-978-3620 during regular hours.
Keeping students healthy is the priority! Whether students need a physical exam, are not feeling well, or need vaccinations such as meningitis or HPV, SHS will work to meet their health care needs.
For more information, call (316) 978-3620, or visit the Student Health Services website.