Providing exciting and fun sport, fitness and informal recreation opportunities for students, faculty and staff is Campus Recreation's top priority. Encouraging individuals to develop a lasting appreciation for recreational activity. Whether interested in playing an intramural sport, grabbing a quick workout or participating in an F45® fitness class Campus Recreations has something for everyone!
The Heskett Center, home of Campus Recreation, is a 166,000-square-foot facility located in the middle of campus. It features everything needed to get in shape and relieve some stress, including:
- 5 convertible basketball/volleyball/badminton courts;
- A 200-meter, six-lane indoor track (7 laps=1 mile (lane 6));
- A weight training room featuring 35 Cybex machines and over 10,000 pounds of free weights;
- A cardio room equipped with 30 pieces of the latest cardiovascular equipment;
- Two fitness studios featuring mirrored walls, hardwood floors and built-in sound systems;
- Racquetball and squash courts;
- A padded multipurpose room for wrestling, Martial arts, stretching and TRX® workouts;
- A cycle studio with 11 LifeCycle exercise bikes;
- A circuit room with 15 pieces of Cybex resistance machines, a rowing erg and stretching mat;
- A 25-meter, eight-lane swimming pool and separate diving well with 350,000 gallons of crystal-clear climate controlled water;
- 4 outdoor, lighted tennis courts, 1 futsal court and 2 half court basketball courts;
- Locker rooms featuring restrooms, lockers, showers and a dry sauna; and
- A state-of-the-art F45® studio.
Campus Recreation programs
Programs encompassing all sorts of fantastic opportunities for fitness and fun and relaxation.
The natatorium is the perfect place to get an impact free workout, have a little fun with friends or learn to swim. The consistently clean and controlled water/air temperature facility is available for lap swimming, diving, open recreation and more. All under the watchful eye of trained American Red Cross lifeguards. Splash away with friends while playing water basketball, water volleyball, jumping off the diving boards and a host of other fun activities.
- Intramural Sports
Fuel some competitive fire by participating in intramural sports through Campus Recreation. Open to all students and Campus Recreation members. Intramural sporting events range from single-day tournaments to multi-week leagues.
Leagues: Men, Women, Co-Rec, Fraternity, Sorority;
- Basketball, Billiards, Canoe Battleship, eSports, Futsal, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball, and more.
- Massage Therapy
- Deep Tissue, Hot Stone, Prenatal, Swedish, Therapeutic.
- Outdoor Adventures
Join Campus Recreation as they get outdoors, away from campus and enjoy some fun. Affordable outdoor recreation and adventure opportunities allow students, faculty and staff to get involved! The trips offer a chance to get engaged at the level that fits your interests and abilities.
- KC Royals games, Spelunking, Horseback Trail Riding, Whitewater Rafting, Sporting KC, and more.
- Personal Training
As with anything in life, achieving fitness goals is easier with a little help. At Campus Recreation their knowledgeable and energetic personal trainers develop individualized exercise programs to help keep participants focused, motivated and on the right path. They offer individual and buddy training packages.
- Shocker Fit
Shocker Fit is dedicated to providing safe, fun and effective FREE group fitness classes to Wichita State University students and Campus Recreation members. All of their instructors are trained and passionate about providing a variety of classes to challenge ALL fitness levels.
- Cycle Fit, F45®, Glide Fit™, PiYo™, TRX®, Yoga, ZUMBA®, and more.
- Shocker Rowing
A national player, taking on such perennial powers as Harvard, as well as local and regional competitors. Categorized as an independent varsity sport, the program comprises both experienced and novice rowers and is divided into men’s and women’s teams.
- Special Events
We invite everyone to participate in a number of healthy lifestyle events and activities. These events are a collaborative effort between other Wichita State departments, as well as many Wichita area businesses.
- Amazing Race, Greased Watermelon, Rec Fest, Beach Party, Health Fair, Sprint Triathlon, Big Pink Volleyball, Pumpkin Run, Wu Lifts, F45® Playoffs, Puppy Paddle, and more.
- Sport Clubs
Organized and run by students, sport clubs at Wichita State offer a great way to develop skills while engaging in serious competition.
- Basketball: Men’s, Bass Fishing, Climbing, Cricket, eSports, Judo, Paintball, Quidditch, Shooting Sports, Table Tennis, Soccer: Men’s and Women’s, Volleyball: Women’s.
Campus Recreation is here to provide students with solutions to their fitness, leisure and recreational needs. To learn more about the programs and services provided check out the Campus Recreation at http://wichita.edu/campusrec, Facebook, Twitter or speak with a guest services assistant at 316-978-3082.
Child Development Center
The WSU Child Development Center is located at 3026 East 21st Street North, at the NW corner of Hillside and 21st Street. It is a licensed child care center for children of WSU students, faculty, staff and alumni. A diverse staff of qualified lead teachers and WSU student assistants facilitates developmentally appropriate activities — art, language, science, math, music and literature — in a hands-on learning environment. The child care center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for children 6 weeks to 6 years old.
Enrollment is limited so it is recommended to get on the waiting list as soon as possible. There is a $70, nonrefundable fee to be added to the waitlist.
Students taking 6 credit hours or more receive a $50 discount. Students who receive financial aid and have an EFC of 0 receive a $100 discount.
For more information, call 316-978-3109, or visit the Child Development Center website (http://wichita.edu/childdevelopmentcenter).
Counseling and Testing Center
The Counseling and Testing Center provides services for personal and mental health issues. Psychological testing for learning disabilities is offered. Workshops and seminars on a variety of mental health and wellness topics are available. Academic testing services are also part of the center’s function. The center’s testing offerings include the credit by exam program, certification tests for community professionals, CLEP tests, and entrance exams for colleges and graduate schools.
Contact the Counseling and Testing Center in 320 Grace Wilkie Hall, at 316-978-3440, or online (https://wichita.edu/counselingtesting).
Student Health Services
Student Health Services offers affordable, conveniently accessed health care services. Staff provides treatment of acute and chronic illness and injury, preventive health services, and health promotion and educational activities for students.
- Outpatient care for acute and long-term illnesses and minor injuries
- No insurance is needed to be seen at Student Health
- Physical exams for class requirements or for general health
- Gynecological services including pap tests, birth control, pregnancy testing
- Medications — over the counter and prescriptions when ordered by our providers
- Lab services including onsite rapid testing, blood draws, testing for sexually transmitted disease
- Free STI testing events during fall and spring semesters
- Routine and travel immunizations
- Ongoing allergy shot regimens
- Annual flu shots each fall
- myShockerHealth (https://studenthealth.wichita.edu) — a secure web portal providing 24 hour access to specific student health services including making an appointment, requesting a medication refill, exchanging messages with providers, checking Student Health financial accounts and paying a bill.
Student Health is located at 209 Ahlberg Hall and the hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. In January 2020, Student Health will be relocating to the Student Wellness Center in the Steven Clark YMCA.
Appointments are encouraged and can be scheduled anytime through the student portal at http://studenthealth.wichita.edu or by calling 316-978-3620.
For more information, visit the Student Health Services website at http://wichita.edu/shs