Students at Wichita State University have the following responsibilities:
- To consult their advisors on all matters pertaining to their academic careers, including changes in their programs;
- To observe all regulations of their colleges and select courses according to the requirements of that college;
- To attend all meetings of each class in which they are enrolled (instructors will announce at the beginning of the semester if they consider attendance in computing final grades);
- To fulfill all requirements for graduation;
- To be personally responsible for fulfilling all requirements and observing all regulations at Wichita State;
- To answer promptly all written notices from advisors, faculty, deans and other university officers;
- To file an application for degree in the appropriate college office by the published deadline for the semester in which graduation is intended; and
- To enroll in only those courses for which the stated prerequisite(s) have been satisfactorily completed. Failure to comply with this procedure may result in administrative withdrawal.
Students also should comply with the principles in the following statement:
Wichita State University reaffirms the principle of intellectual freedom in scholarly activity for university students, and it recognizes the full citizenship rights of students in inquiry, discussion and such actions as they may choose to take on public issues.
The rights and freedoms of students involve concomitant responsibilities. Incumbent on all students, as on all citizens, is the responsibility to observe the university’s rules of orderly procedures and the laws of the larger community of which the university is a part. In the matter of actions on public issues, to speak one’s opinion, to petition, to distribute literature, to assemble peacefully and hold meetings, to use the persuasion of ideas, and other actions within the bounds of orderly and lawful procedures are sanctioned by the university. But infringement on the rights of others, acts or threats of violence to persons, destruction of property, disruption, or other interference with the normal functioning of the university and its personnel and other disorderly and unlawful acts will not be countenanced.
Within its sphere of responsibility the university will afford students proper procedural safeguards to resolve matters in dispute. Those who willfully violate university standards must expect to face disciplinary action on the part of the institution, which may include reprimand, administrative withdrawal, probation or suspension, consistent with campus provisions for due process.
Student Code of Conduct
The Student Code of Conduct outlines university behavior expectations for students, student groups, and student organizations in keeping with institutional values and to meet the university’s legal obligations. These expectations cover topics such as academic integrity, drug use, hazing, alcohol, weapons, physical violence and harassment. The conduct procedures outline the actions needed to file a complaint and the course followed in the student conduct process. Additionally, information on informal and conflict resolution processes for student-involved conflicts is also provided.
The Student Code of Conduct is located online at the student conduct webpage (http://wichita.edu/studentconduct). Individuals wanting to file an incident report about a student, student group, or student organization can submit a report online at the same site.
Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence and Stalking Policies
Wichita State University is committed to the elimination of sexual misconduct, relationship violence and stalking within the university community. These incidents may interfere with or limit an individual’s ability to work productively, maintain a safe living environment, or to benefit from or fully participate in the university’s educational programs. Additionally, these incidents may cause serious physical and/or psychological harm.
Wichita State University maintains a comprehensive program to prevent these behaviors, provides resources to assist and support those who are involved in such incidents, and will respond promptly and equitably to reports of sexual misconduct, relationship violence and stalking. The university has a responsibility to eliminate the behavior, prevent its recurrence, and address its effects on any individual and/or the community. Retaliatory actions against any individual involved in reporting or participating in the investigation of a complaint will not be tolerated.
Information regarding the university’s policies can be found in sections 8.16/Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence and Stalking Policy for Students, and 3.06/Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Harassment, Relationship Violence and Stalking Policy for Employees and Visitors in the WSU Policies & Procedures Manual.
Campus and community resource information can be found at the Care Team's website (http://wichita.edu/care) or by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX.
Student Academic Honesty
A standard of academic honesty, fairly applied to all students, is essential to a learning environment. Students who compromise the integrity of the classroom are subject to disciplinary action by their instructor, their department, their college and/or the university. Violations of classroom standards of academic honesty include, but are not limited to:
- Cheating in any form, whether in formal examinations or elsewhere.
- Using or submitting the work of others as one’s own original work without assigning proper credit to the source.
- Misrepresentation of any work done in or out of the classroom or in preparation for class.
- Falsification, forgery or alteration of any documents pertaining to academic records.
- Colluding with others in an effort to obtain a grade or credit not truly reflective of what the student knows or has learned.
Students violating such standards must accept the consequences and appropriately assessed penalties, which may include reprimand, a failing grade, or suspension or dismissal from an academic program or the university. Students accused of abridging a standard of academic honesty will be provided with mechanisms for review and appeal of decisions regarding allegations of academic misconduct.
The fundamental responsibility for the maintenance of the standards of academic honesty rests with each student. It is each student’s responsibility to be familiar with university policy on academic honesty and to uphold standards of academic honesty at all times and in all situations.