Double or Second Major

Double Major

Students must meet with advisors in each program department before claiming a minor or major in more than one degree program. The same hours can be used to meet the requirements of more than one major or minor or combination thereof within the following conditions:

  1. At least 12 credit hours of unduplicated coursework must be completed in each major.
  2. At least 3 credit hours of unduplicated coursework must be completed in each minor.

This policy does not apply to inter-college double majors as defined in the WSU Undergraduate Catalog. Colleges and/or departments may impose further restrictions on the use of unduplicated hours for their programs, majors and/or minors. Such restrictions can be found in the degree requirements catalog section for each program.

Inter-College Double Major

An inter-college double major allows a student to complete an academic degree and major in one of the professional colleges (Barton School of Business, College of Education, College of Engineering, College of Fine Arts, College of Health Professions) along with a major in Fairmount College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The following criteria and policies apply:

  1. The student’s professional college will be their primary college and LAS will be their secondary college.
  2. The established degree requirements for each major must be completed; but for the inter-college double major, individual courses can be used to satisfy the major requirements of both majors.
  3. Students must complete all graduation requirements (general education, core courses and college required courses) within their primary college, but are not required to complete all the graduation requirements of their secondary college.
  4. The diploma will be awarded by the student’s primary college. The academic department within the student’s secondary college must verify that the student has satisfied the requirements of their major.
  5. The student’s academic transcript will indicate both majors.

Second Bachelor's Degree from Wichita State

Students with a bachelor’s degree from another institution may receive a second bachelor’s degree from Wichita State University upon completion of a minimum of 30 credit hours in residence, provided that none of the 30 WSU credit hours is counted in the first degree and provided that all Wichita State, college and departmental graduation requirements are met.

Students who have received one bachelor’s degree from Wichita State University may receive a second upon completion of a minimum of an additional 30 credit hours in residence and upon satisfying the requirements of the department and college from which the second degree is sought. These hours are in addition to those required for the first degree.

Student must comply with the policies regarding duplicate use of coursework outlined in the section on double majors.