International Student Admission
Wichita State University demonstrates its commitment to international education through the Office of International Education. The office assists international students with cultural acclimation, immigration counseling, English language instruction, and admission to the university.
The university welcomes students of every national, racial, religious, ethnic and cultural background. Admission decisions are based solely on the academic qualifications of applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements
All international undergraduate students at Wichita State University are required to demonstrate proficiency in English before beginning full-time academic study. Students, however, are not required to submit proof of English proficiency, such as TOEFL results, with their application for admission. The university will consider all undergraduate applicants for admission without proof of English proficiency.
English proficiency may be demonstrated in the following ways:
- Obtain a TOEFL score of 530 or higher on the paper-based test;
- Obtain a TOEFL score of 72 or higher on the Internet-based test;
- Obtain an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher;
- Obtain a PTE Academic score of 49 or higher;
- Obtain an SAT-I verbal score of 410 or higher;
- Obtain an ACT English section score of 20 or higher;
- Obtain a score of 80 or higher on the WSU English Proficiency Examination;
- Successfully complete the highest level of the WSU Intensive English Language Center;
- Have 24 or more transferable semester credit hours from another U.S. college or university; or
- Successfully complete Level 112 at the ELS Language Center.
All test scores must be sent to Wichita State University directly from the testing company.
In order to apply, all international undergraduate students must submit the following:
- A completed International Undergraduate Application form;
- U.S. $75, $150 or $250 nonrefundable application fee depending on the student’s desired service level;
- Official copies — in English — of all transcripts from all secondary schools, colleges or universities attended; and
- Certification of Financial Support and evidence of financial resources (e.g. bank statement, scholarship letter, etc.).
Some students wish to study for one or more semesters without earning a degree. Nondegree applicants must submit all of the required application materials and will receive the same consideration as degree candidates.
Other Requirements — Health Insurance
All international students are required to have medical insurance that meets university requirements, including support for repatriation and medical evacuation. Students are automatically charged for the Wichita State University insurance plan when they register for classes. They may apply for an insurance waiver if they provide proof of adequate insurance before they register for classes.
All new students are required to be tested for tuberculosis after arriving in Wichita and before registering for classes.
For more information about international student admission, write:
Office of International Education
Wichita State University
Wichita, Kansas 67260-0122 USA
The university has an exceptions committee to review petitions from people seeking admission to the university as domestic undergraduates who otherwise do not qualify. There is a separate appeals process for international undergraduate admission through the international education office.