BAED - Chemistry (Secondary)
General requirements for a Bachelor's degree: 120 minimum hours; overall GPA 2.500; major content GPA 2.500.
|Requirements for a Major|
|CHEM 211||General Chemistry I 1||5|
|CHEM 212||General Chemistry II 1||5|
|CHEM 531||Organic Chemistry I||5|
|CHEM 532||Organic Chemistry II||5|
|CHEM 523||Analytical Chemistry (fall only)||4|
|CHEM 524||Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis (spring only)||4|
|CHEM 661||Introductory Biochemistry||3|
|PHYS 213||General College Physics I||5|
|GEOL 300||Energy, Resources and Environment 1||3|
|BIOL 210||General Biology I||4|
|Total Credit Hours||43|
|CI 270||Introduction to the Education Profession 2||3|
|Teacher Education - Middle and Secondary Majors (need a B- or better in all courses below)|
|Core I - Fall Only|
|CESP 334||Introduction to Diversity: Human Growth and Development 1||3|
|CI 320||Introduction to Diversity: Exceptionalities||2|
|CI 321||Introduction to Diversity: Cultural Issues||2|
|CI 325||Instructional Strategies, Assessment and Management: Middle/Secondary General Methods||1|
|CI 315||Core I Practicum||1|
|Core II - Spring Only|
|CESP 433||Learning Assessment and Evaluation Theory: Evidence-Based Instruction 3||3|
|CI 425S||ISAM: Middle/Secondary Level Content-Specific Methods I - Sciences||2|
|CI 426S||Core II Practicum - Science||1|
|CI 427||Philosophy, History and Ethics of Education 3||3|
|Core III - Fall Only|
|CI 413S||Teaching Internship I: Secondary Level Seiences||2|
|CI 417||Instructional Strategies, Assessment and Management: Literacy Strategies in the Content Areas||2|
|CI 435S||ISAM: Middle/Secondary Level Content-Specific Methods II - Sciences||3|
|CI 505||Science Technology & Society||1|
|CI 780S||Technology in the Classroom: Science||2|
|Core IV - Spring Only|
|CI 436S||ISAM: Middle/Secondary Level Content-Specific Methods III - Sciences||2|
|CI 471S||Teaching Internship II: Secondary Level Sciences||10|
|Praxis II Science Content Knowledge Test|
|Total Credit Hours||43|
General education course
B- or better.
If preferred, this class can be taken with Core III.
|Additional College Requirements - counted as General Education|
|PSY 111||General Psychology||3|
|STAT 370||Elementary Statistics||3|
|ENGL 315||Introduction to English Linguistics||3|
|or LING 315||Introduction to English Linguistics|
|or ANTH 352||Anthropological Linguistics|
|Total Credit Hours||9|
|Select 3 credit hours of elective (to complete 120 credit hours)||3|
|Total Credit Hours||3|
Students are required to complete an applied learning or research experience to graduate from programs in curriculum and instruction. The requirements can be met by the following:
Students who graduate from an undergraduate program must experience at least 600 hours of field experience/internship in various classroom settings throughout their specific program. In addition, all initial licensure students must complete the Kansas Performance Teaching Portfolio, which is an action research requirement for licensure.
Official Program Transition Point Requirements:
- Admission into teacher education - completed application packet and meet all admission to teacher education requirements as specified in College of Education - Policies.
- Admission to teacher internship:
- Satisfactory accomplishment of content-area, standard-driven assessments,
- B- or better in all professional teacher education courses,
- 2.500 GPA (overall, WSU and content), and
- Completed teacher intern application.
- Exit from teacher internship:
- B- or better in all professional courses,
- 2.500 GPA (overall and WSU),
- Successful completion of all degree requirements,
- Final university supervisor evaluation form.
- Degree completion:
- 2.500 GPA (overall and WSU), and
- Meets all degree requirements.
- Licensure recommendation:
- Passes common assessments,
- Passing score on Kansas Performance Teaching Portfolio,
- PLT passed,
- Praxis II content test(s) passed, and
- Licensure application.
Candidates completing this program are eligible to be certified to teach chemistry — grades 6-12.