BAED - Spanish (PreK-12)
General requirements for Bachelor's degree: 120 minimum hours; overall GPA 2.500; major GPA 2.500.
|Requirements for a Major: 33 credit hours beyond the SPAN 112 level|
|SPAN 220||Intermediate Spanish Grammar and Composition||3|
|SPAN 223||Selected Spanish Readings 1||3|
|SPAN 300||Intermediate Spanish Readings||3|
|SPAN 325||Intermediate Spanish Conversation||3|
|MCLL 351||Linguistics and Foreign Languages||3|
|SPAN 505||Spanish Phonetics||3|
|SPAN 525||Advanced Spanish Conversation||3|
|SPAN 526||Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition||3|
|SPAN 531||Survey of Spanish Literature||3|
|or SPAN 621||Survey of Contemporary Latin-American Literature|
|SPAN 626||Spanish Civilization||3|
|or SPAN 627||Latin-American Civilization|
|Select 3 additional credit hours of upper-division Spanish||3|
|Total Credit Hours||33|
General Education course
|CI 270||Introduction to the Education Profession 2||3|
|Core I - Fall Only|
|CESP 334||Introduction to Diversity: Human Growth and Development 4||3|
|CI 320||Introduction to Diversity: Exceptionalities||2|
|CI 321||Introduction to Diversity: Cultural Issues||2|
|CI 325||Instructional Strategies, Assessment and Management: Middle/Secondary General Methods 2||1|
|CI 315||Core I Practicum 2||1|
|Core II - Spring Only|
|CESP 433||Learning Assessment and Evaluation Theory: Evidence-Based Instruction 3||3|
|CI 425E||ISAM: Middle/Secondary Level Content-Specific Methods I - English 2||2|
|CI 426E||Core II Practicum - English/Language Arts 2||1|
|CI 427||Philosophy, History and Ethics of Education||3|
|Core III - Concurrent Enrollment - Fall Only|
|MCLL 411F||Preteaching Internship PreK-6 2||1|
|MCLL 413F||Preteaching Internship 6-12 2||1|
|MCLL 454F||ISAM: PreK-12 World Languages 2||3|
|CI 417||Instructional Strategies, Assessment and Management: Literacy Strategies in the Content Areas 2||2|
|Core IV - Teaching Internship - Spring Only|
|MCLL 466||Teaching Internship PreK-12 in World Languages 2||12|
|MCLL 455F||Teaching Internship Seminar in World Languages 2||1|
|ACTFL Advisory Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) - "Advanced Low" level or higher|
|Praxis Content Knowledge Test|
|Total Credit Hours||41|
B- or better.
If preferred, this class can be taken with Core III.
General education course
|Additional College Requirements - counted as General Education|
|PSY 111||General Psychology||3|
|STAT 370||Elementary Statistics||3|
|Total Credit Hours||6|
|Select 10 credit hours of electives (to complete program of 124 credit hours)||10|
|Total Credit Hours||10|
Students are required to complete an applied learning or research experience to graduate from programs in curriculum and instruction. The requirements can be met by the following:
Students who graduate from an undergraduate program must experience at least 600 hours of field experience/internship in various classroom settings throughout their specific program. In addition, all initial licensure students must complete the Kansas Performance Teaching Portfolio, which is an action research requirement for licensure.
Official Program Transition Point Requirements:
- Admission into teacher education - completed application packet and meet all admission to teacher education requirements as specified in College of Education - Policies.
- Admission to teacher internship:
- Satisfactory accomplishment of content-area, standard-driven assessments,
- B- or better in all methods, practicum and internship courses.
- 2.500 GPA (overall, and WSU), and
- Completed teacher intern application.
- Exit from teacher internship:
- B- or better in all professional courses,
- 2.500 GPA (overall and WSU),
- Successful completion of all degree requirements,
- Final university supervisor evaluation form.
- Degree completion:
- 2.500 GPA (overall and WSU), and
- Meets all degree requirements.
- Licensure recommendation:
- Passes common assessments,
- Passing score on Kansas Performance Teaching Portfolio,
- PLT passed,
- Praxis II content test(s) passed
- Licensure application, and
- ACTFL Advisory OPI passed.
Candidates completing this program are eligible to be certified to teach Spanish — grades PreK –12.