Campus Recreation is the primary destination for everything Shockers need to get their fitness, leisure and recreation groove on! Many indoor programs and activities take place in the Heskett Center. This 166,000 square-foot facility has everything fitness enthusiasts need for healthy, enjoyable, and productive college careers. By presenting a current Shocker ID card students open a door into the very best in fitness and recreation! Features include:
- Five convertible basketball/volleyball/badminton courts;
- Complimentary Shocker Fit, group fitness classes to all registered students. Over 34 classes/week including Cycle Fit, F45, PiYo, Yoga, and Zumba.
- Two hundred (200) meter indoor track;
- Three Shocker fitness studios, + CYCLE Fit studio + NEW F45 Functional Fitness Team Training Studio;
- Racquetball and squash courts;
- Mount Wu, a 25 foot-high climbing wall;
- Five thousand (5,000)+ square feet of fitness specific activity space including cardiovascular, and strength and conditioning equipment;
- Twenty-five (25) meter swimming pool with separate dive well;
- Six outdoor, lighted, hard-court tennis courts;
- Spacious men’s and women’s locker rooms; and
- Extensive sports and competition program consisting of many seasonal intramural opportunities as well as year-long sport club programs and activities.
Individual services available for purchase by members include:
- Personal training session packages;
- Massage session packages; and
- Variety of special event style activities including the Pumpkin Run 5k race, NIRSA Day and health fair.
Campus Recreation is here to provide students with solutions to their fitness, leisure and recreational needs. To learn more about the programs and services provided check out the Campus Recreation website (http://wichita.edu/campusrecreation), Like us on Facebook, or speak with a guest services assistant at 316-978-3082.
Child Development Center
The WSU Child Development Center is located at 3026 East 21st Street North, at the NW corner of Hillside and 21st Street. It is a licensed child care center for children of WSU students, faculty, staff and alumni. A diverse staff of qualified lead teachers and WSU student assistants facilitates developmentally appropriate activities — art, language, science, math, music and literature — in a hands-on learning environment. The child care center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for children 6 weeks to 6 years old.
Enrollment is limited so it is recommended to get on the waiting list as soon as possible. There is a $70, nonrefundable fee to be added to the waitlist.
Students taking 6 credit hours or more receive a $50 discount. Students who receive financial aid and have an EFC of 0 receive a $100 discount.
For more information, call 316-978-3109, or visit the Child Development Center website (http://wichita.edu/childdevelopmentcenter).
Counseling and Testing Center
The Counseling and Testing Center provides services for personal and mental health issues. Psychological testing for learning disabilities is offered. Workshops and seminars on a variety of mental health and wellness topics are available. Academic testing services are also part of the center’s function. The center’s testing offerings include the credit by exam program, certification tests for community professionals, CLEP tests, and entrance exams for colleges and graduate schools.
Contact the Counseling and Testing Center in 320 Grace Wilkie Hall, at 316-978-3440, or online (http://wichita.edu/counselingtesting).
Student Health Services
Student Health Services offers affordable, conveniently accessed health care services. Staff provides treatment of acute and chronic illness and injury, preventive health services, and health promotion and educational activities for students.
- Outpatient care for acute and long-term illnesses and minor injuries
- No insurance is needed to be seen at Student Health
- Physical exams for class requirements or for general health
- Women’s health services including pap tests, birth control, pregnancy testing
- Medications — over the counter and prescriptions when ordered by our providers
- Lab services including onsite rapid testing, blood draws, testing for sexually transmitted disease
- Free STI testing events during fall and spring semesters
- Routine and travel immunizations
- Ongoing allergy shot regimens
- Free annual flu shots each fall
- myShockerHealth — a secure web portal providing 24 hour access to specific student health services including making an appointment, requesting a medication refill, exchanging messages with providers, checking Student Health financial accounts and paying a bill.
Student Health is located at 209 Ahlberg Hall. Hours are Monday – Thursday 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Appointments can be scheduled anytime through the student portal at http://studenthealth.wichita.edu or by calling 316-978-3620.
For more information, visit the Student Health Services website at http://wichita.edu/shs