Housing and Residence Life

On-campus housing is available for more than 1,400 students in Fairmount Towers, Shocker Hall, and The Flats at WSU. Housing options include living-learning communities, honors academic areas, suite-style residence hall rooms, and a variety of room and/or apartment configurations.

Because research nationwide has repeatedly shown that freshmen who live on campus are more successful academically than freshmen who do not live on campus; and because Wichita State University is committed to students and student success, WSU requires all incoming freshmen to live on campus in designated university housing. Freshmen must live their first two semesters in the residence halls (either Shocker Hall or Fairmount Towers) unless they are exempted from this housing policy. All other students may choose their own accommodations including residing within The Flats at WSU; however, university housing is highly recommended.

Exceptions to the freshmen residency requirement are made for freshmen who are:

  1. At least 21 years of age, or will turn 21 during the academic year;
  2. Married, or will be prior to the first day of classes;
  3. Living in official Greek housing;
  4. Taking less than 12 credit hours per semester;
  5. Transfer in 24 or more completed credit hours;
  6. Living with a parent/legal guardian, grandparent, aunt, or uncle in the greater Sedgwick County area (see Housing and Residence Life website for approved counties/cities).

All freshmen who would like to be exempted from the residency requirement — including those who fall into one of the above categories (with the exception of number 6) — are required to complete and submit a Housing Exemption Form. Exemptions may require documentation and will be reviewed by the department of Housing and Residence Life. A written reply will be sent to those who request an exemption.

Admission to Wichita State University does not mean an automatic room reservation. Each student admitted will receive information concerning housing from the department of Housing and Residence Life. Students must complete a housing application, including a $75.00 application fee, as well as sign a housing contract that includes a $200.00 prepayment in order to receive a timeslot to select a room through the room self-selection process (students interested in The Flats at WSU will have a separate application and leasing process, including separate application fee and deposit amounts, and will need to complete a background/credit check). Students are encouraged to apply early, as space is limited.

For more information about living on campus, room and meal plan options, application/contract/lease questions, please contact the department of Housing and Residence Life by phone at (316) 978-3693, by email at Housing.WSU@wichita.edu, or visit the Housing and Residence Life website. Wichita State University reserves the right to make policy adjustments where the situation demands, change the residence of any student, or deny or cancel the residence accommodations of any student in cases were such action is deemed necessary.