BS in Dental Hygiene - Degree Completion
The degree completion Bachelor of Science in dental hygiene is available to dental hygienists who seek to expand their professional role in such areas as community dental hygiene, teaching in a dental hygiene program, alternative practice settings, or in preparation for a graduate degree. The program is completely online, accessible 24 hours a day, and can be completed in as little as 12–15 months (full time) or up to six years (part time). Twenty-five (25) credit hours of retroactive credit in dental hygiene courses can be applied to the degree. In addition to the flexibility and convenience of the program, the comprehensive curriculum advances knowledge base and experiences to provide a gateway to advanced career opportunities and to meet the necessary requirements for pursuing a graduate degree in dental hygiene.
Students interested in more information should visit the degree completion webpage, or contact the BSDH degree completion advisor:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (316) 978-7332
Admission to Degree Completion1
- Have an overall cumulative GPA of 2.500.
- Submit an application to the university. WSU Online Gateway Application.
- Former Wichita State students need to fill out a reactivation form with the registrar's office.
- Applicants should check information about State Authorization before continuing with the application to confirm that WSU is authorized to offer courses and programs in their state.
- Request that official transcripts of previous college courses, and records verifying completion of an accredited dental hygiene program, be sent to Wichita State University.
- Connect with an advisor to evaluate transcripts, verify dental hygiene license, and determine an individualized plan of study by email.
Refer to the dental hygiene department website with questions, and for the most current and complete information.
|DH 360||Fundamentals of Advanced Professional Roles 1||2|
|DH 420||Educational Methodology in Dental Hygiene||3|
|DH 430||Curriculum Design, Evaluation and Management in Dental Hygiene Education||3|
|DH 452||Population Health Management in Dental Hygiene||3|
|DH 456||Special Care Populations||3|
|DH 465||Research and Evidence-Based Practice in Dental Hygiene||3|
|DH 470||Issues in Dental Hygiene||3|
|HMCD 308||Leadership in Self and Society||3|
|or HMCD 333||Organizational Behavior and Leadership in Health Organizations|
|STAT 370||Elementary Statistics 1||3|
|Select 6 credit hours from the following:||6|
|Psychology of Aging|
|Special Projects in Dental Hygiene|
|Introduction to the U.S. Health Services System|
|Emerging Health Care Issues of the 21st Century|
|Impact of Disease Upon Global Events|
|Total Credit Hours||32|
Graduation and Program Requirements
- A 2.500 cumulative GPA for admission to the BSDH degree completion program.
- A current, unencumbered dental hygiene license for admission and progression.
- College algebra and all professional courses must be completed with a C (2.000) or higher.
- Graduation requirements:
- 60 credit hours must be from a four-year university;
- 30 credit hours must be taken from WSU;
- Last 24 of 30 credit hours must be at WSU;
- 45 upper-division credit hours (25 of these awarded via retroactive credit);
- 124 total credit hours required for Bachelor of Science in dental hygiene.