Sports and Recreation
Numerous sports and recreation programs exist at the university.
As an NCAA Division I member, Wichita State competes in the American Athletic Conference. WSU teams compete in men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track and field, men's and women's tennis, men's and women's golf, and women's volleyball. The university fields teams in men's and women's bowling and men's and women's rowing as independent sports.
There is also an extensive campus recreation program. Club sports include eSports, cheer team, dance team, racquetball, soccer, men’s volleyball, wheelchair athletics, ice hockey, aikido and more. Intramural sports include flag football, basketball, table tennis, badminton, soccer, softball, bowling, swimming, racquetball and more.
Students with a current Shocker ID card are admitted free to all varsity athletic events.
The 10,506-seat Charles Koch Arena, which is used for intercollegiate basketball and volleyball games; the 7,851-seat Eck Stadium – Home of Tyler Field, home to the Shocker baseball program; the Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex with eight lighted courts, home to WSU’s intercollegiate tennis program; the 1,000-seat C. Howard Wilkins Softball Facility for intercollegiate softball; and the 24,000-seat Cessna Stadium for intercollegiate track and field. Visit Shocker sports online1.
Link opens new window.
Providing exciting and fun sport, fitness and informal recreation opportunities for students. Helping them develop a lasting appreciation for recreational activity.
Heskett Center: Main Campus
- Five convertible basketball/volleyball/badminton courts;
- A 200-meter, six-lane indoor track;
- Performance Suite: strength and conditioning;
- Esports Hub: 20 computers, two consoles;
- F45® studio: Functional Fitness in 45 minutes;
- 17 station Cybex® Eagle line circuit room;
- 25 meter lap pool and 12 foot deep diving well; and
- Locker rooms with showers and a dry sauna.
- Outdoor Sport Complex: basketball, futsal, pickleball; and
- Kouri Parcourse: eight different exercise pieces.
Metroplex Playing Fields: Eugene M. Hughes Metropolitan Complex
- Three natural-grass fields, used for intramural sports as well as numerous club sports throughout the year.
RiverVista Boathouse: Downtown
- Home of Shocker Rowing. Indoor area includes shell storage, men and women’s locker rooms, maintenance area and more.
- Location of Boats and Bikes. Where you can rent a variety of water and land equipment.
Programs encompassing all sorts of fantastic opportunities for fitness and fun and relaxation
The natatorium is the perfect place to get an impact free workout, have a little fun with friends or learn to swim. The consistently clean and controlled water/air temperature facility is available for lap swimming, diving, open recreation and more. All under the watchful eye of trained lifeguards. Splash away with friends while playing water basketball, water volleyball, jumping off the diving boards and a host of other fun activities.
- 44 Intramural Activities
Fuel some competitive fire by participating in intramural activities through Campus Recreation. Open to all students. Intramural sporting events range from single-day tournaments to multi-week leagues. Leagues: Men, Women, Co-Rec, Fraternity, Sorority;
- Basketball, Billiards, eSports, Futsal, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball and more.
- 30/60/90 Minute Massages
Whether you're nursing sore muscles, rehabbing an injury or just needing to relieve some stress, our massage therapists can provide the healing touch you need to get back to feeling like yourself again - or better.
- Fitness in 45 Minutes
Shocker Fit is dedicated to providing safe, fun and effective FREE group fitness classes to Wichita State University students and Campus Recreation members. All of their instructors are trained and passionate about providing a variety of classes to challenge ALL fitness levels.
- F45®, Glide Fit™ and Glide Fit™ Yoga
- Shocker Rowing
A national player, taking on such perennial powers as Harvard, as well as local and regional competitors. Categorized as an independent varsity sport, the program comprises of both men and women and is divided into Championship, Developmental and Recreational Teams.
We invite everyone to participate in a number of healthy lifestyle events and activities. These events are a collaborative effort between other Wichita State departments, as well as many Wichita area businesses.
- Beach Party, Big Pink Volleyball, F45® playoffs, Finals Frenzy, 5k/1k Pumpkin Run, Puppy Paddle, S'mores and Oars, Wellness Expo, and Wu Lifts
- 20 Sport Clubs
Organized and run by students, sport clubs at Wichita State offer a great way to develop skills while engaging in serious competition.
- Barbell, Baseball, Basketball: Men's, Bass Fishing, Disc Golf, Gaming, Judo, Ice Hockey, Shooting Sports, Soccer: Men’s and Women’s, Taekwondo, Table Tennis, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball: Men's and Women's, Water Ski and Wakeboard, Wrestling, and WSU Student Officials Association
Campus Recreation is here to provide students with solutions to their fitness, leisure and recreational needs. To learn more about the programs and services provided check out the Campus Recreation webpage1, Facebook1, Twitter1 or speak with a guest services assistant at 316-978-3082.
Link opens new window.