BA in Philosophy
A major requires a minimum of 27 credit hours of philosophy courses, at least 15 of which must be in courses numbered 300 or above. Each philosophy major must meet with a departmental advisor at least once a semester to plan or review a program of study. These programs are designed in terms of the individual student’s interests and future plans. Up to 12 credit hours of philosophy courses taken before the decision to major in philosophy may count toward a major. Additional hours may be counted with the advisor’s consent.
Students in the Bachelor of Arts in philosophy program are required to complete an applied learning or research experience to graduate from the program. The requirement can be met by completing the following program course requirements:
Select one item from list A, or three items from list B.
A. Substantive Experiences (one item from this list)
- Publish an article in an undergraduate philosophy journal.
- Edit or referee submissions for an undergraduate philosophy journal.
- Give a paper or serve as commentator for a paper at an undergraduate philosophy conference.
- Give a poster presentation at an undergraduate philosophy conference.
- Give a paper or poster presentation at URCAF.
- Take a Directed Readings or Honors option which involves original research or scholarship.
- Internship or co-op experience.
- Serve as logic/critical reasoning tutor.
- Serve as an officer in the Philosophy Society (PS), the Prelaw Student Association (PLSA) or the SGA.
B. Less Substantive Experiences1 (three items from this list)
- Attend lecture of visiting speaker (in philosophy).
- Attend philosophy seminar given by visiting speaker.
- Attend on-campus session of the Kansas Appellate Court.
- Attend on-campus presentation by law school.
- Participate in visits to regional law schools organized by the PLSA.
- Attend an undergraduate or professional philosophy conference.
- Participate in activities of the PS or PLSA.
- Participate in philosophical discussions on social media organized by the PS.
Attendance/participation is to be verified either through completed registration forms or signatures on sign-up sheets.