BAED - Physics (Secondary)
General requirements for a Bachelor's degree: 120 minimum hours; overall GPA 2.500; major content GPA 2.500.
|Requirements for a Major|
|PHYS 213||General College Physics I||5|
|PHYS 214||General College Physics II||5|
|PHYS 195||Introduction to Modern Astronomy||3|
|PHYS 501||Special Studies in Physics for Educators||3|
|or PHYS 551||Topics in Modern Physics|
|MATH 123||College Trigonometry||3|
|MATH 242||Calculus I||5|
|CHEM 211||General Chemistry I 1||5|
|CHEM 212||General Chemistry II 1||5|
|BIOL 210||General Biology I||4|
|GEOL 300||Energy, Resources and Environment 1||3|
|Total Credit Hours||41|
|CI 270||Introduction to the Education Profession 2||3|
|Teacher Education - Middle and Secondary Majors (need a B- or better in all courses below)|
|Core I - Fall Only|
|CI 320||Introduction to Diversity: Exceptionalities||2|
|CI 321||Introduction to Diversity: Cultural Issues||2|
|CI 325||ISAM: Middle/Secondary General Methods||1|
|CI 315||Core I Practicum||1|
|Core II - Spring Only|
|CESP 433||Learning Assessment and Evaluation Theory: Evidence-Based Instruction 3||3|
|CI 425S||ISAM: Middle/Secondary Level Content-Specific Methods I - Sciences||2|
|CI 426S||Core II Practicum - Science||1|
|CI 427||Philosophy, History and Ethics of Education||3|
|Core III - Fall Only|
|CI 413S||Teaching Internship I: Secondary Level Sciences||2|
|CI 417||ISAM: Literacy Strategies in the Content Areas||2|
|CI 435S||ISAM: Middle/Secondary Level Content-Specific Methods II - Sciences||3|
|CI 505||Science Technology & Society||1|
|CI 780S||Technology in the Classroom: Science||2|
|Core IV - Spring Only|
|CI 436S||ISAM: Middle/Secondary Level Content-Specific Methods III - Sciences||2|
|CI 471S||Teaching Internship II: Secondary Level Sciences||10|
|Praxis II Science Content Knowledge Test|
|Total Credit Hours||40|
|Additional College Requirements - counted as General Education|
|CESP 334||Introduction to Diversity: Human Growth and Development||3|
|ENGL 315||Introduction to English Linguistics||3|
|or LING 315||Introduction to English Linguistics|
|or ANTH 352||Anthropological Linguistics|
|PSY 111||General Psychology||3|
|STAT 370||Elementary Statistics||3|
|Total Credit Hours||12|
|Select 6 credit hours of electives (to complete 120 credit hours)||6|
|Total Credit Hours||6|
General education course
B- or better.
If preferred, this class can be taken with Core III.
Official Program Transition Point Requirements:
- Admission into teacher education - completed application packet and meet all admission to teacher education requirements as specified in College of Applied Studies - Policies.
- Admission to teacher internship:
- Satisfactory accomplishment of content-area, standard-driven assessments,
- B- or better in all professional teacher education courses,
- 2.500 GPA (overall, WSU and content), and
- Completed teacher intern application.
- Exit from teacher internship:
- B- or better in all professional courses,
- 2.500 GPA (overall and WSU),
- Successful completion of all degree requirements,
- Final university supervisor evaluation form.
- Degree completion:
- 2.500 GPA (overall and WSU), and
- Meets all degree requirements.
- Licensure recommendation:
- Passes common assessments,
- Passing score on Kansas Performance Teaching Portfolio,
- PLT passed,
- Praxis II content test(s) passed, and
- Licensure application.
Candidates completing this program are eligible to be certified to teach physics and general science — grades 6-12.
Students are required to complete an applied learning or research experience to graduate from programs in curriculum and instruction. The requirements can be met by the following:
Students who graduate from an undergraduate program must experience at least 600 hours of field experience/internship in various classroom settings throughout their specific program. In addition, all initial licensure students must complete the Kansas Performance Teaching Portfolio, which is an action research requirement for licensure.