Housing and Residence Life

On-campus housing is available for 1,400 students within Shocker Hall, The Suites, and The Flats. Housing options include Living-Learning Communities, suite-style residence hall rooms, and a variety of room and/or apartment configurations.

Research nationwide has repeatedly shown that first-year students who live on campus are more successful academically than first-year students who do not live on campus; and because Wichita State University is committed to students and student success, all incoming first-year students are required to live on campus in designated university housing. First-year students must live their first two (2) semesters within university housing facilities, unless they are exempted from this housing policy. All other students may choose their own accommodations; however, university housing is highly recommended.

Exceptions to the first-year student residency requirement are made for students who are:

  1. Residents of the greater Sedgwick County area (see Housing and Residence Life website for approved counties).
  2. At least 21 years of age, or older;
  3. Married and living with spouse;
  4. Living with a dependent child;
  5. Living in official Greek housing (authorized by a national chapter recognized by WSU);
  6. Taking less than 12 credit hours per semester (part-time);
  7. Transfer in 24 or more completed credit hours;
  8. Living with an approved relative (grandparent, aunt or uncle) in the greater Sedgwick County area (see Housing and Residence Life website for approved counties).

All first-year students who would like to be exempted from the residency requirement, including those who fall into one of the above categories are required to complete and submit an Exemption Request Form (with the exception of number one; no form is needed). Exemptions may require documentation and will be reviewed by the department of Housing and Residence Life. A written reply regarding request status will be sent to those who request an exemption via myWSU email.

Admission to Wichita State University does not mean an automatic room reservation. Each student admitted will receive information regarding on-campus housing from the department of Housing and Residence Life. Students must sign a housing contract, as well as submit a $75 non-refundable application fee and a $200 prepayment in order to receive a timeslot to select a room through the room self-selection process in the spring. Students are encouraged to apply early, as space is limited.

For more information about living on campus, room and meal plan options, or application/contract questions, please contact the department of Housing and Residence Life by phone at 316-978-3693, by email at Housing.WSU@wichita.edu, or visit the Housing and Residence Life website1. Wichita State University reserves the right to make policy adjustments where the situation demands, change the residence of any student, or deny or cancel the residence accommodations of any student in cases where such action is deemed necessary.


Link opens new window.