BA in Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures - Spanish Specialization

A specialization in Spanish consists of a minimum of 33 credit hours beyond SPAN 210 or its equivalent and must include the following courses:

Course Title Hours
Required Courses
MCLL 351Linguistics and Foreign Languages3
SPAN 220Intermediate Spanish Grammar and Composition3
or SPAN 221 Spanish Grammar and Composition for Heritage Speakers
SPAN 223Selected Spanish Readings3
SPAN 300Intermediate Spanish Readings3
SPAN 325Intermediate Spanish Conversation3
SPAN 525Advanced Spanish Conversation3
SPAN 526Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition3
Select 12 credit hours from courses numbered above 50012
Total Credit Hours33

It is strongly recommended that students specializing in Spanish take courses in related fields such as other foreign languages, art history, English, history and philosophy.

Native Speakers

Native speakers are those who have completed a substantial amount of their education in a Spanish-speaking country. Native speakers of Spanish are normally not permitted to receive credit for 100- and 200-level courses, or SPAN 325. To complete a specialization the following are required:

Course Title Hours
SPAN 300Intermediate Spanish Readings3
Select one of the following:3
Linguistics and Foreign Languages
Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition
Select 12 credit hours of upper-division work in Spanish12
Total Credit Hours18

Note: Native speakers are advised to consult with a Spanish professor before enrolling in Spanish courses.

Student Teachers

Students who plan to teach Spanish should consult with the department’s professor in charge of teacher education early in their career. In addition to the requirements for specialization, it is recommended that future teachers take courses beyond the general education requirements in other foreign languages, history, art history, English or philosophy. It is also recommended that future Spanish teachers spend at least a summer in a Spanish-speaking country before student teaching.

Please contact the College of Education for current teacher education program requirements.

High School Spanish

Students who have completed more than two units of high school Spanish should consult with an advisor in the Spanish department before enrolling in Spanish courses.