BA in Psychology
The major for the Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree consists of a minimum of 31 credit hours in psychology, at least 9 of which are earned at Wichita State:
|General Survey Course|
|PSY 111||General Psychology||3|
|Research Methods Core Courses|
|PSY 301||Psychological Statistics||3|
|PSY 311||Research Methods in Psychology||4|
|Core Content Courses|
|Select 15 credit hours from the following:||15|
|Psychology of Learning|
|Psychology of Personality|
|Systems and Theories in Psychology|
|Psychological Testing and Measurement|
|Select an additional 6 credit hours of electives from courses numbered 300 or above (excluding PSY 481)||6|
|Total Credit Hours||31|
PSY 111 is prerequisite for all higher number psychology courses.
Scholarship and research are encouraged at the undergraduate level. Students who meet the requirements should explore adding the departmental honors program to their undergraduate major. The process is competitive, and not all applicants who meet the admission requirements each year may be accommodated. There is no fee associated with the psychology honors program.
Honors admission requirements include:
- Admission to the psychology undergraduate major;
- An overall GPA of 3.500 in psychology coursework;
- A one-page, single-spaced letter describing reasons for applying to the honors track, goals and potential benefits to participating in the program;
- An identified psychology faculty member to mentor the senior thesis;
- Completion of all required courses (10 credit hours)
Course List Course Title Hours PSY 111 General Psychology 3 PSY 301 Psychological Statistics 3 PSY 311 Research Methods in Psychology 4
- Completion of three of the core courses:
Course List Course Title Hours PSY 320 Biological Psychology 3 PSY 321 Psychology of Learning 3 PSY 322 Cognitive Psychology 3 PSY 323 Social Psychology 3 PSY 324 Psychology of Personality 3 PSY 325 Developmental Psychology 3 PSY 327 Systems and Theories in Psychology 3 PSY 328 Psychological Testing and Measurement 3
Students admitted to the departmental honors in psychology program must complete the following:
- Commit to working in the research lab of the faculty mentor for a minimum of two semesters;
- This includes enrolling in PSY 608 Special Investigation for at least 1 credit hour each semester (number of credit hours is to be negotiated between faculty mentor and student).
- Maintain a 3.500 cumulative GPA in psychology coursework;
- Complete honors assignments in four core or elective psychology courses;
- Be a participating member of the Psi Chi student organization;
- Apply for funding to support the senior thesis (e.g., WSU Undergraduate Research Award or Psi Chi Undergraduate Research Grant);
- Complete a mentored senior thesis; and
- Present the mentored thesis at a local, regional or national conference (e.g., WSU psychology department’s Research Roundup, WSU Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity Forum, external academic conference [e.g., SWPA]) prior to graduation.
Students in the BA in psychology program are required to complete an applied learning or research experience to graduate from the program. The requirement can be met by completing PSY 311.