BS in Mathematics — Data Science Emphasis
For the Bachelor of Science (BS) degree with an emphasis in data science:
|Complete all courses in Group R 1||15|
|Plus the two courses from the following list which must include MATH 646||6|
|Introduction to Mathematical Data Analysis|
|Plus two computer courses from the following list:||6-8|
|Introduction to Programming|
|Plus two statistics courses from the following list:||6|
|Elementary Probability and Mathematical Statistics|
|Statistical Methods I|
|Statistical Methods II|
|Theory of Statistics I|
|Theory of Statistics II|
|Total Credit Hours||33-35|
A list of courses in each group can be found at the beginning of the mathematics section of the catalog.
Students in the BS in mathematics – data science emphasis program are required to complete an applied learning or research experience to graduate from the program. The requirement can be met by completing one of the following:
- The student completes a thesis.
- The student attends a conference and presents at least a poster.
- The student performs outreach in the local school district.
- The student does a presentation in a venue involving members of the community, such as the Science Expo at Keeper of the Plains, or through participation in Math Circle, Pi Mu Epsilon or Math Awareness.
- The student carries out a research project followed by a seminar presentation.